Penguin “Little Black Classics”
This is my first blog post since changing my blog name! It feels weird, but awesome. Anyway, I briefly mentioned in my book giveaway blog post that I ordered a load of the new Penguin “Little Black Classics”. Penguin have released 80 classic books for only 80p each to celebrate their 80th anniversary. Did I mention that they’re only 80p?! Insane.
I would probably order all of them if I could, but for now I decided to get several Classics (Greek and Roman) books because I study Ancient History at Uni, and a few other books that I’ve been wanting to read for a while.
The Classics-related books & poems I got are:
- Jason and Medea, by Apollonius of Rhodes
- Socrate’s Defence, by Plato
- Caligula, by Suetonius
- Come Closer, by Sappho
- Circe and the Cyclops, by Homer
- I Hate and I Love, by Catullus
The books I decided to treat myself to:
- The Night is Darkening Round Me, by Emily Bronte. I just know I’m going to love this poetry collection, Emily Bronte is one of my favourite writers.
- The Beautifull Cassandra, by Jane Austen. These stories were written by Jane as a teenager!
- The Great Fire of London, by Samuel Pepys. I remember reading this diary when I was a child, and couldn’t resist getting myself a copy.
- How to Use Your Enemies, by Baltasar Gracian. I bought this on a whim, as I’ve not really heard much about it before, but it should be interesting.
- The Yellow Wall-Paper, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. My A-level English Literature teacher always told me to read this, but I never got around to it.
- My Dearest Father, by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. (I love him.)
I can’t wait to start reading these as soon as my exams are over! The classical music nerd inside me is really keen to read My Dearest Father, a collection of letters that Mozart wrote to his father.
Have you picked up any of these? I think it’s a great idea from Penguin – hopefully it inspires more people to read Classic books and poetry! The tiny size of these Little Black Classics are perfect to fit inside a handbag without taking up much room for reading on-the-go.
P.S. Have you entered my Penguin Young Adult Fiction giveaway yet?