I’ll start off by saying that this book was written in 2012, which I kept in mind while reading it, as some things said are a bit irrelevant now (especially as Instagram is the latest big social media site). I won a copy (and another book about Google+, which I’m currently reading) last year as part of a giveaway, but I went to uni and completely forgot about it until last week.
I’m a newbie to Pinterest, so Pinterest Power was useful for me, but I wouldn’t recommend it to someone who is already familiar with the site, even if they’ve only got a few followers – I’d recommend finding a more up-to-date book if you want one, or looking for advice online. Pinterest Power has a whole section on monetising, which isn’t relevant to me as a hobby blogger, but I imagine is quite useful for small businesses / Etsy sellers! There’s a book that came out in 2013 called Instagram Power by the same author, Jason Miles, so I might check that out, because I’m trying to improve my Instagram right now! (my account is blue-themed if you wanna check it out)
What did I learn?
- Pinning regularly is important, but don’t pin a ton of things at once – it’ll annoy your followers!
- Be specific with your boards and very selective with what you pin – quality over quantity.
- Make sure to use keywords in your pin descriptions / board titles so they can be found, and make sure that boards are properly categorised.
- Creating ‘pinnable’ graphics in blog posts is useful – these should be vertical and have clear text on!
- Get involved in the community by following, liking and re-pinning other people with similar boards / niches.
- Use Pinterest Analytics and Google Analytics to find out which are your most popular boards and pins, then create more similar content.
After reading this book, I scoured through my Pinterest Analytics, re-arranged my boards, and I’m in the process of adding keyword-filled descriptions to all of my pins so they can be found easily. I discovered that my Grunge Style and Hair boards are the most popular ones, and my most popular pin is a vertical image with clear text on it linking to my ‘The Only App You Need for Instagram’ post.
You can get Pinterest Power on Amazon for £13.48
All the best,